Fame arrived for these lands together with the sad tragedy of the war. Chronicles and bulletins during the Great War reported after the defeat in Caporetto (October 24, 1917) the events happening in this lands; the name Cavazuccherina kept in anguish thousands of mothers and fathers of both fronts whose sons were fighting in flooded trenches where the malaria killed more than rifles.
The target was to conquer Venice and the Austro-Ungarian army first passed the Piave on the 14th of November 1917, occupying the territory of Jesolo and after a few months of preparation made the final assault, the Battle of the Solstice (15-24 June 1918): foot-soldiers and blue jackets anchored to the right bank of the Old Piave-Cavetta, resisted and after a counter-attack (July 2 – 6, 1918), repelled the enemy beyond the new Piave until the final victory of the 4th of November.
The inhabitants of Jesolo underwent untellable sufferances in those years; they had to move quickly away from their homes taking their few things and seeking refuge in the far back-lines (in the whole Peninsula) or worse they were shut up in prisoner-of-war camps from where many never returned.
In memory of that tragedy the Commune wanted a bridge-monument to be built, which was inaugurated on the 9th of October 1927 by Emanuele Filiberto, Duke of Aosta, Commander of the 3rd Army that had stopped the enemy in this area. On four obelisks were engraved the names of the soldiers of the San Marco Army and the 181 "sons of Jesolo" who had died for their country.